The Today Show is under fire for its colossal mistake. Fans are furious with the morning show for not knowing the ins and outs of the Royal Family. Most of the news this week has come out of England. Some fans are promising to boycott the program once again.
As TV Shows Ace previously reported, the show came under fire for the segment it aired on 9/11 remembrance day. Some fans called for Willie Geist’s firing since he aired an interview with supermodel Gigi Hadid before talking about the 21st anniversary of the tragic event.
Read on to see the latest backlash with the Today Show.
British Royal Family fans up in arms
You don’t mess with fans of the British Royal Family. They know everything about the monarchy –including the appropriate titles to use. Some of them slammed the Today Show after both of the hosts referred to a member of the family by their incorrect title.
On Friday, September 9, King Charles III announced that his son William and Kate — previously known as the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge — will now be referred to as the Prince and Princess of Wales.
On Saturday’s morning broadcast of The Today Show, the hosts referred to the newly-appointed Princess as “Kate Middleton,” which is a huge no-no to the fans. They don’t refer to her maiden name ever since she married William about a decade ago.
“We are back on a Saturday morning with more on the changing monarchy with King Charles announcing his wife as Queen consort and his daughter-in-law Kate as the Princess of Wales,” co-host Peter Alexander shared.
The Today Show shared the clip on Twitter with the same announcement. BRF fans were upset with the use of Kate’s maiden name. She was known as Kate, Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge since she married Prince William.
King Charles III’s wife Camilla is officially queen consort.
Prince William’s wife Kate Middleton is now Princess of Wales. pic.twitter.com/I1jSsGMx9A
— TODAY (@TODAYshow) September 10, 2022
Calls to boycott The Today Show
Fans rushed to The Today Show’s tweet to share their thoughts. Most of them promised to boycott the talk show. They’re upset with the show for not fact-checking Kate’s name before the report. Others are upset with the glaring inaccuracy.
- “Your post/video are an embarrassment for your whole profession. You call that journalism? A one-minute Google research provides people with better knowledge. Utterly disgraceful. [SIC]”
- “Neither Kate (given name Catherine) nor Middle for over 11 YEARS!”
- “Wake up!”
- “Agreed. Pointless even watching. Think I’m gonna start to boycott this show unless they amp up their game and deliver actual news.”
- “Stop calling her Kate Middleton! They need new anchors, so uniformed!”
The Today Show will continue to air more coverage of the British Royal Family for the next 9 days. What are your thoughts on the Today Show making this mistake? Do you think they’re in the wrong? Sound off below in the comment section.
Check back with TV Shows Ace for more news on The Today Show.
- ‘Today’ Al Roker Shares Quick Health Update With Fans - September 30, 2022
- ‘GMA’ Fans Attack Ginger Zee Over Her Actions During Coverage - September 30, 2022
- ‘Celebrity WoF’: Pat Sajak Jokes About Twitter Controversy? - September 30, 2022