Instagram/Maura Higgins

‘Love Island UK’ Maura Higgins Nearly Dies After Tampon Snafu

News, Reality TV

Love Island UK contestant Maura Higgins recently revealed she nearly died after a tampon snafu. The Irish TV personality recently made an appearance on ITV’s Shopping With Keith Lemon. It was during that appearance that the 31-year-old Irish model opened up about her scary near-death experience involving a tampon snafu.

Love Island UK Maura Higgins Nearly Dies After Tampon Snafu

During her appearance on Shopping With Keith Lemon, Maura revealed that she nearly died from toxic shock syndrome (TSS) after a tampon became stuck inside her body for three months. Before telling her story, the Love Island UK star did make it a point to mention that she was not a doctor and could only speak from her experience. She proceeded to share what happened.

I had a bad experience. I’m not a doctor, I don’t know much about [toxic shock syndrome], but I know you are not meant to leave a tampon inside for more than, I think it’s nine hours, I think that’s the max.

Per various tampon manufacturer websites, women are recommended to change tampons every eight hours (or sooner depending on their menstrual flow). Forgetting about her tampon, the Irish TV personality managed to lose it inside of her body for three months. She revealed that she was extremely ill when her doctor discovered the tampon stuck to her cervix.

Instagram/Maura Higgins
Instagram/Maura Higgins

She Hates The Stigma Around Tampons

While telling her story, Maura Higgins calls attention to the fact that tampons are some taboo thing that young teenagers are encouraged to hide and feel shame about.

Maura continued: “There were people that have died from that happening. Young girls might not have noticed, like you go on a night out, what if you got really drunk and forgot, like, these things actually do happen, and people don’t speak about it.”

I remember even being in school, I used to get my tampon out the bag, push it up my sleeve and then go to the toilet like that… thinking back, why was I doing that? It’s nothing to be ashamed about, that’s why I think it’s an important topic isn’t it?

Per NHStoxic shock syndrome is a condition with symptoms that hit suddenly and quickly get worse. TSS can be fatal if it isn’t caught and treated in a timely manner.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by MAURA HIGGINS (@maurahiggins)

What are your thoughts on Maura Higgins’ decision to be so open about a tampon snafu that resulted in her nearly dying? Do you think it is cool she shared this story to raise awareness? Share your thoughts in the comments down below. And, keep coming back for more TV news.

Articles You May Like

Christine Brown’s Secret To Keeping Her Children Close
Eiichiro Oda Busy Refining Netflix’s ‘One Piece’ Live-Action Series
‘Wheel Of Fortune’ Fans Call Out Painfully Slow Contestant
Pat Sajak Asks Vanna White About ‘Battery-Operated’ Dress
How Much Do ‘Alaskan Bush People’ Cast Make Per Episode?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *