Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar cried “racism” on the morning talk show. Fans clapped back on social media after the broadcast. On Tuesday, September 6, The View returned after its summer hiatus. In the promo video, the co-hosts warned fans that they will share new views and will have a new attitude.
Joy and Whoopi followed through with that promise. They shared an opinion that didn’t bode well with everyone. On the latest broadcast, the women sounded off on those who don’t like the Amazon series Lord of the Rings: Ring of Power and HBO’s new Game of Thrones spinoff series House of the Dragon. They claimed the critics are “racist.”
Whoopi Goldberg & Joy Behar share bold statements
Whoopi Goldberg was the first to share her opinion on the latest broadcast of The View. She called out the critics who have a problem with seeing Black characters in both hit shows. Whoopi reiterated that both of the fantasy series “are not real” and “there are no dragons, there are no hobbits.” According to the Oscar winner, both of the fantasy shows are fake and hobbits and mermaids don’t exist.
“Are you telling me black people can’t be fake people too?” Whoopi Goldberg argued. “I don’t know if there’s like, a hobbit club, I don’t know if there are gonna be protests. But people: What is wrong with y’all?”
Fellow The View co-host Sunny Hostin said she was “fascinated” by the series. She was more focused on the “fire-breathing dragons” rather than the characters themselves. Sunny said there should be more critical about the characters with “white hair” and “violet eyes.” She thinks the outcry over the “rich Black people” is ridiculous. Newbie Alyssa Farah Griffin said the critics should “get a hobby.”
“It’s just racist. Call it what it is,” Joy Behar added.
Whoopi Goldberg feels that viewers should be against the live-action version of Disney’s The Little Mermaid since it has a Black lead. When it comes to fantasy shows like Rings of Power or House of the Dragon, she feels they shift their focus to the dialogue or acting instead.
CRITICS SLAM CASTING IN ‘LORD OF THE RINGS,’ ‘HOUSE OF THE DRAGON’: #TheView co-hosts react to criticism of the #TheRingsOfPower and #HouseoftheDragon series casting diverse characters. https://t.co/cVclFZQmjA pic.twitter.com/4XrGBJQspt
— The View (@TheView) September 6, 2022
The View fans clap back at the “racist” accusations
The View fans clapped back at Whoopi Goldberg and Joy’s bold statements. Some agreed with them, while others shared their own thoughts. Some of them took to The View’s tweet to share their opinions, and as you can see, they’re mixed:
- “Alyssa — MAGA republicans aren’t semi-fascists- she is doing exactly what I thought. SPREADING MAGA PROPAGANDA- fire her!!!”
- “The critics are ridiculous to focus on the casting.”
- “I can’t believe there are people complaining about black actors being cast in the new Lord Of The Rings movie. The characters are fictional… fantasy. They could be ANY color. Whoopi Goldberg is right.“
- “Habla Mismo, Whoopi!” which translates to, “Speak for yourself, Whoopi!”
- “I love Whoopi!!! She sounded like Sister Mary Clarence in the beginning there.”
- “Change the channel.”
What are your thoughts on the criticism about House of the Dragon and Rings of Power? Do you think it’s silly to complain about it? Do you agree with Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar that the critics are racist? Sound off below in the comment section.
Check back with TV Shows Ace for more news on Whoopi Goldberg.
- ‘The View’ Tear-Filled Sara Haines Defends Actions Of Friend - September 24, 2022
- Wendy Williams Inside Source Gives Drug Abuse Rehab Update - September 24, 2022
- ‘Today’ Willie Geist Apologizes After ‘9/11’ Snafu - September 23, 2022