Julia Quinn and Regency fans around the world are jumping in anticipation: Bridgerton began production on Sunday! To clarify, the reality hit when actress Nicola Coughlan, who is portraying Penelope Featherington, posted an Instagram photo of the three Featherington sisters. Fans of the romance novels have been soaking in all news since Shonda Rhimes announced Shondaland was developing the popular series for Netflix. Who is starring in Bridgerton?
Who is portraying the Bridgerton family? According to Deadline, these are the actors from the new Netflix series.
- Violet: Ruth Gemmell (Penny Dreadful) is Violet, the Bridgerton matriarch. This steel magnolia wants to see her children happily married off for love.
- Anthony: Jonathan Bailey (Broadchurch) portrays the oldest, Anthony. Despite being charming and quite a catch, he has zero interest in anything but the pursuit of pleasure.
- Benedict: Luke Thompson is portraying the artistic Bridgerton. He is looking to live a quiet life, working on his craft and away from the constant swirl of parties.
- Colin: Luke Newton (The Cut) is Colin. A serious “infatuation” with a new lady in town sends him spinning.
- Daphne: Phoebe Dynevor (Younger) plays Daphne, who many predict will become this season’s “incomparable.” But things don’t go her way until she meets a certain Duke.
- Eloise: Claudia Jessie (Vanity Fair) plays the whipsmart Eloise. Eloise has big dreams, but she must marry.
- Francesca: Ruby Stokes (Da Vinci’s Demons) plays the quiet and sly Francesca. She is know to have a “subversive” sense of humor.
- Gregory: Will Tilston (Goodbye Christopher Robin) is portraying Gregory, whose main goal in life is “terrorizing” his baby sister Hyacinth.
- Hyacinth: Florence Hunt (Cursed) is playing Hyacinth, the youngest Bridgerton who can’t wait to be a grown-up like her three older sisters.
What actors are portraying the Featheringtons?
- Penelope Featherington: Nicola Coughlan (Derry Girls) is the witty Penelope. Misunderstood, she is unlike the rest of her family. Penelope has to navigate the “mean girls” of Regency England.
- Lady Portia Featherington: Polly Walker (Enchanted April) portrays the matriarch who is obsessed with getting her daughters wed.
- Lord Featherington: Ben Miller (Johnny English Strikes Again) plays the “lustful” Featherington patriarch who dotes on his daughters.
- Prudence Featherington: Bessie Carter (Les Misérables) plays Prudence, the oldest Featherington. She is now considered “on the shelf.” Perhaps the reason she is a repelling suitors is because she doesn’t have a nice bone in her body?
- Philippa Featherington: Harriet Cains (Marcella) portrays the middle Featherington daughter. Then again, she is not the smartest, nor the most ambitious. She just wants to get that ring.
Remaining Bridgerton Cast
- Simon Bassett: Regé-Jean Page (Roots) portrays the Duke of Hastings. Simon is a great catch, but Simon does not want to get married.
- Jeffries: Jason Barnett will portray Simon’s dutiful butler.
- Marina Thompson: Ruby Barker (Wolfblood) portrays the Featherington country bumpkin cousin in awe of London society. Marina gets thrust into the action because she now lives with her well-connected cousins.
- Mrs. Varley: Lorraine Ashbourne (Cheat) plays the Featherington’s “testy” housekeeper.
- Lady Danbury: Adjoa Andoh (Thunderbirds Are A Go) plays the highborn Lady Danbury. She is not afraid to speak her mind and tells it like it is. But, she is known to have a soft spot for Simon, because she was close to his late mother.
- Queen Charlotte: Golda Rosheuvel (Lady MacBeth) plays the royal with a taste for local gossip. On the other hand, the Queen is not amused when the gossip is about her.
- Will Mondrich: Martins Imhangbe (The Tragedy of King Richard the Second) portrays a local boxing celebrity that is becoming a good friend of Simon.
- Siena Rosso: Sabrina Bartlett (Victoria) plays an opera singer with a desire to be part of the Bridgerton/Featherington inner circle. For instance, she has an affair with a well-known lord. Will this improve her social standing?
- Lady Whistledown: Julie Andrews (Sound of Music) is portraying the mysterious gossip columnist that seems to be extra knowledgeable about the Bridgerton family.
Bridgerton Based On Julia Quinn Novels
The new Netflix Bridgerton series was is based on Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton series. Most importantly, Shondaland is adapting the eight-book series, starting with The Duke And I.
Bridgerton fans, are you excited about the new Netflix series? Who is your favorite Bridgerton? Share your comments and be sure to come back to TV Shows Ace for the latest on the new series. Netflix will drop Bridgerton in 2020.
- UPtv’s ‘Christmas At The Amish Bakery’: All The Details - December 7, 2023
- ‘Yellowstone’ Creator, Cole Hauser Fought Years Before Lawsuit - December 7, 2023
- Josh Duhamel, Minka Kelly Starring In Netflix’s ‘Ransom Canyon’ - December 6, 2023